Sunday, January 17, 2010

Make It Monday

I posted this on my other blog  earlier this weekend and got good reviews... so I am going to share a great website here:

I have been a fan of a great Recipe Webzine/website for YEARS... and I get lots of interesting recipes, meet lots of great 'foodie' people from around the world and also get great tips and tricks for the kitchen....

Chef Joe Barkson shares his love of all things food, his dogs, family and more with me every morning as I read through the e-zine delivered to my inbox :)

The other great feature of the subscription webzine is that you can post bulletin board requests to your fellow foodies - that hard to pin down recipe, a change in diet (when I had GD and now with Liam's GF diet they've been so helpful), or when traveling - to get the local skinny on the best places to eat, visit and be...

Also once you visit http://www.wwrecipes.com you will also find a treasure trove of well organized recipes in tons of categories  - all tried and true!

If you are a foodie like me you should check out http://www.wwrecipes.com and let Chef Joe know I sent you ;-)


Just a sample of recipes from the past few weeks (with Chef Joe's comments) - btw they are different than the ones I featured on acting balanced:

For more than 30 years this has been one of the dishes I have
turned to when pressed for time. I don't know where I got the
recipe - I might have invented it myself, even though I know I
wasn't the first to make a dish like this. I always have the
ingredients on hand, and it makes a quick and easy side dish
that goes great with just about everything. I often add some
chopped fresh herbs, but it's just as good "plain."

Quick Pasta with Egg and Cheese Sauce

2-3 eggs
1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4 cup (60 ml) sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Chopped fresh herbs to taste (optional)
1 lb (450 g) dried pasta shape of your choice, or dried
egg noodles, cooked according to package directions.

Combine the eggs, cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and
optional herbs in a small bowl and stir with a fork to combine.
Drain the pasta and return it to the pot immediately. Add the
egg mixture and toss to combine - the heat from the pasta
will cook the eggs. Serves 4 to 6.




This is a Danish classic that has counterparts throughout
Scandinavia. In Denmark they call it "Frikadeller." I don't
know what it's called in Swedish, but I'm sure their word must
have little dots over all the vowels and lines through all the O's.

Danish Meat Patties (Frikadeller)

1/2 lb (225 g) ground beef
1/2 lb (225 g) ground pork
1 medium onion, grated
3 Tbs (45 ml) flour
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) club soda
1 egg, well beaten
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 Tbs (45 ml) butter and/or vegetable oil for frying

Using a wooden spoon and a large mixing bowl, or an electric mixer,
beat the meats, grated onion, and flour until thoroughly mixed.
Gradually add the club soda and continue beating until the meat
mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg, salt, and pepper, and
combine thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour, until the
mixture has firmed a little. Shape the meat mixture into 8 oblong
patties about 4 inches (10 cm) long, 2 inches (5 cm) wide, and 1
inch (2.5 cm) thick. Heat the butter or oil, or mixture of the two, in a
heavy skillet over moderate heat and add the meat patties 3 or 4 at a
time, being careful not to crowd them. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes per
side, until they are a rich dark brown. Remove the cooked patties to
a warm platter and repeat until all the patties are cooked. Since
these contain pork, they should be cooked to the well-done stage.
Makes 8 patties to serve 4.

No comments: