Sunday, January 17, 2010

Is stockpiling wrong?

I had someone stop me in the supermarket the other day and ask me if I was feeding an army because I was buying 10 boxes of Honey Nut Chex... I said no, I am taking advantage of the sale (BOGO) and my coupons to get ahead and the fact that my family including my GF son eats Chex.  She then made a non-repeatable comment about people who stockpile... the gist of which is stockpilers ruin the sales for other people...

My thoughts on this once I recovered from the fact that I was verbally accosted in Publix by a very nosy and rude person... was to reflect that if the stores were against multiple purchase buying then they would put limits on the number of items you could buy in a week or transaction... and that if you can't find what you want on the day you are shopping in Publix they have a fabulous rain check program...

I know that it can be frustrating to go looking for an advertised 'deal' item that is a feature ingredient in your dinner plans or something you've been salivating over since you saw they were on sale in the flier... because it has happened to me... and not just with sale items... and sometimes you just have to adjust...

but the good news is that stores often do limit the number of 'sale' items you can purchase if they have a limited supply and for those they have run out of unexpectedly they offer rain checks... and most will attach your expiring coupons to the back of the rain check to be used when they are back in stock...

I've also had situations where I've asked for a rain check because there is less than the quantity I want on the shelf and rather than deprive the 'single item' shopper, I will wait for all my stockpile items...


I've said my piece... now I open it to you .. what do you think?

No comments: