Friday, January 22, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

Now that Publix has changed their 'Mystery coupon penny' day to Wednesdays, I really have to scan the inserts to make sure it will be worth my $1.75 to buy a second copy of the P & C.  My general rule of thumb is to always buy one paper - partly because at least once a week I feel nostalgic and actually want to read a paper, do the crossword in pencil and save the comics section to wrap birthday gifts... Some weeks it's really easy to decide - there are 3, 4 or 5 good inserts... other weeks, not so much...

So, how do I decide whether there is value in it for me?  Three ways:
  1. I make a list (or highlight the one I have printed from Southern Savers or another site - this week the first one I saw was at SS, so that's the link I'm providing) of all the coupons I might use.
  2. I check my 'inventory' of what I have at home... even if there is a coupon for something I usually use in the paper, if I have a 6 month supply, I probably won't need the coupon before it expires
  3. I add up the savings from the highlighted coupons, less the inventory list and get a value of the inserts...
If there are enough coupons (remember to double the value of the ones you are going to use at grocery stores that allow doubles) to more than triple my investment in the paper... I buy a second... if I can get 10 x my investment, I might even pick up a third if my budget allows...

I know that there is alot of waste generated by buying multiple papers... so I reuse and recycle religiously... I separate my newspapers and donate them to the art classes at the kids schools as often as they want them and as I say, I save the comics sections to wrap kids birthday presents in...

So will you be buying a second paper on Sunday?  Share your thoughts and comments please :)

No comments: